Friday, June 26, 2009

In Scotland: the land of the Mann clan







Kennedy: I just read Jordan's last post and want to clarify that I really liked London, even though it was pricey. He was a bit of a Debbie Downer. London reminded me of an older version of Toronto, with a cooler accent. Really vibrant, multicultural city with tons to do and lots of delicious international cuisine - Jordan finally got to try Thai food!
I'm also loving getting to experience a lot of the 16th century history I've read so much about, thanks to Joanna letting me borrow her entire Philippa Gregory collection! (Sidenote: I'm reading The Other Queen right now, fitting as I'm in Edinburgh and heading to Mary Queen of Scot's Holyrood Palace later today).
Our last day in London was gorgeous: hot and sunny. We spent most of the day in Hyde Park, with a quick jaunt into Harrod's, the most expensive shopping mall I've ever set foot in. No souvenir purchases there, sorry kids! Later we hit up an English pub for some fish and chips and London ale, served at room temp.
Now we're in Edinburgh, which is everything I've ever expected from Scotland. Absolutely beautiful. Our hostel is located outside the city centre, on a hill right on the Firth of Forth. Next to a golf course, naturally. We walked to tiny little Cramond Island when the tide was out; in the 1800s it was a vacation spot, and in WWII it was occupied by soldiers on the look-out for attacks from the sea. The remnants of the forts still remain. Lots of sea creatures as well; apparently you can see bottle-nosed dolphins but I sadly didn't spot any.
Yesterday we took another - you guessed it - free walking tour of the Old Town. Our guide was a Nova Scotian! We finally came across a Maritimer. We saw the important stuff: Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile (also known as Tourist Trap Central), the cemetery where Bloody Mackenzie's poltergeist hangs out, the sites of witch burnings, the cafe where J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter, the school that inspired Hogwarts, the Princes Street Gardens, and the cathedral where Sir Sean Connery was knighted. Lots of random stuff. Also heard stories about William Wallace, the Stone of Destiny, Deacon Brodie (the man who inspired the R.L. Stevenson's Jekyll & Hyde), and Burke and Hare, body snatchers from the 1800s. Yeah, Edinburgh has a crazy, fascinating history.
Lots more to do in Edinburgh before heading off to Glasgow to meet our Scottish relatives for the first time!
P.S. You're probably on the edge of your seat, waiting for new photos. Sorry to keep you waiting, but we can't get to any USB ports at the moment. Sit tight, we'll have more up as soon as we can.

6 comments:

  1. Hi kids!! Scotland.....sounds lovely!! So does every other place you describe!

    I went to toronto a couple days ago with Doris Bovey to see Jersey Boys.......FABULOUS SHOW!!
    We had such a nice day together.

    Today, we are heading to the cottage with gramma and grampa, Mel and kids and Shell and Rick and kids. Hamilton is home with Brittany. Mac is bringing Christina. Should be a fun (and crowded) weekend. Weather is hot and sunny, perfect for the beach!

    So, i hope you guys have a wonderful time. I look forward to seeing more photos when you get the chance to put them up.

    I'd love to phone you while you are at Irene's place, you could talk to us for free at least.
    So please let me know when exactly you will be staying there.

    HUGS to both of you. Luv ~mom~

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I will be home from the cottage on tuesday, june 30th. So hopefully you will be at the Irene's after that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll be in Glasgow tomorrow, June 29... you can call us sometime Tues when you get home if you like, just let us know when so we make sure we're there. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everybody go back to the Copenhagen post of June 9 to check out some exclusive, dusty tuborg bottles and Little Mermaid photos. More photos to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kennedy......i'm soooo sorry i could not get trhough to you on the phone. I phoned the operator after i spoke to you, to get the exact right order of numbers. I phoned at least 50 times and every single time i got a busy signal.
    I even waited to see if the busy signal was just the phone connecting. Eventually the busy signal quit and there was just silence. It just never went through. I tried up until 7:15, which was 12:15 your time. I am sure it was just as frustrating for you guys sitting there and waiting. I even phoned the operator a second time to double check the numbers, and she said yes i was doing it correctly. So i have no idea why i could not get through.

    Soooo, i will try again tomorrow. Madi is dancing in a Canada Day show in stratford, so we'll be gone from 10 until about 4. So i will try to phone you as soon as i get home if that will work for you guys. Just let me know if that is ok.
    I look forward to talking to you again!!
    And hello to Ronnie and Irene......and THANK YOU sooooo much for looking after my kids for a few days! You are so WONDERFUL to welcome them into your home. Please let me know ANYTIME i can do the same for you or someone in your family.

    OK....bye for now......luv ~mom~

    I HOPE i can get through!!!
    Melanie sends her love to all, she was here when you called Kennedy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In solidarity with your brother, I can be a Debbie Downer too, watch...

    I hate Thai food, not just because of the taste but because everyone always seems to default to Thai food when debating what to eat. It's just not that good. Who puts peanuts in a noodle dish?! PEANUTS!? Really now.

    You can get lukewarm beer here in Toronto too. It came out of a tap they had to pump, so I know it's not just warm regular beer. It was gross.

    Ta da!

    ReplyDelete